Home > World > US Iran Tension: Could the US Strike Iran This Weekend? Military Ready, Trump Holds Off Decision

US Iran Tension: Could the US Strike Iran This Weekend? Military Ready, Trump Holds Off Decision

The US military is reportedly prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend, but President Donald Trump has not yet made a final decision on approving military action.

By: Nisha Srivastava
Last Updated: February 19, 2026 10:41:15 IST

US Iran Tension: As tensions rise in the Middle East, the United States military is said to be prepared for a possible attack on Iran as early as this weekend. However, a final decision has not yet been taken by Donald Trump, according to reports.

CNN reported that the White House has been informed that US forces could be operationally ready for a strike by the weekend. This development comes as Washington sharply increases its military presence in the region, sending more air and naval forces closer to Iran.

US Iran Tension: High-Level White House Meetings Held

Senior national security officials from the Trump administration met in the White House Situation Room on Wednesday to assess the situation. Trump also received briefings from special envoy Steve Witkoff and adviser Jared Kushner, sources said.

Despite these discussions, it is still uncertain whether Trump will approve a military strike in the coming days. “He is spending a lot of time thinking about this,” CNN reported, quoting a source familiar with the matter.

US Iran Tension: Military Options Briefed to Trump

According to a Wall Street Journal report, Trump has been briefed on several military strategies aimed at Iran. An unnamed US official said these options are “all of them designed to maximise damage.”

The report added that one proposed campaign could involve efforts to “kill scores of Iranian political and military leaders, with the goal of overthrowing the government.”

US Iran Tension: US Expands Military Presence in the Middle East

The US has significantly increased its military footprint in the region. The Trump administration ordered a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East, with the USS Abraham Lincoln already stationed about 700 kilometres from Iran’s coast, according to satellite imagery.

CNN also reported that the US Air Force is relocating aircraft from the United Kingdom, including refueling tankers and fighter jets, to Middle Eastern bases. Flight-tracking data further showed that US military cargo planes have recently transported equipment from the US to Jordan, Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia.

US Iran Tension: Iran Responds With Military Drills

At the same time, Iran is displaying its own military strength. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has begun war games in the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial shipping route for global oil and gas supplies. Iranian leaders have also warned that they could block the Strait if tensions continue to escalate.

US Iran Tension: White House Pushes Diplomacy First

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Iran would be “wise” to reach a deal with the US amid rising tensions. She noted that recent talks in Geneva showed limited progress but said major differences remain.

“There was a little bit of progress made, but we are still far apart on some issues. We expect the Iranians to come back with the details in the next couple of weeks. The president will continue to watch how this plays out,” she told reporters.

Leavitt stressed that diplomacy remains Trump’s preferred approach before considering military action.

US Iran Tension: Iran Says It Does Not Want War

Earlier on Wednesday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran is “drafting” a framework for future negotiations with Washington. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian also said his country does not seek conflict but warned against external pressure.

“From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be aside. But if they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?” he asked.

US Iran Tension: US Reiterates Nuclear Red Line

Meanwhile, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright reaffirmed Washington’s stance on Iran’s nuclear ambitions. He said the US would stop Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons “one way or the other.” “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable,” Wright added.

Most Popular

The Sunday Guardian is India’s fastest
growing News channel and enjoy highest
viewership and highest time spent amongst
educated urban Indians.

The Sunday Guardian is India’s fastest growing News channel and enjoy highest viewership and highest time spent amongst educated urban Indians.

© Copyright ITV Network Ltd 2025. All right reserved.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?