US-India trade deal: Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala has raised serious concerns over the future of the US-India trade framework after a crucial ruling by the US Supreme Court. He said the agreement, signed recently by the Modi government, is now under a “serious cloud” following the court’s decision on US tariffs.
Randeep Singh Surjewala criticised the speed at which the agreement was finalised and questioned whether the Centre would now reconsider or cancel the deal. “The fate of the US – India Trade Deal, i.e., ‘Framework Agreement’, executed in a great hurry by the Modi Government, is now under a serious cloud,” Surjewala said. He further asked, “Will the Modi Government now annul/cancel the US – India Trade Deal?”
2/2
The fate of the US – India Trade Deal, i.e., ‘Framework Agreement’, executed in a great hurry by the Modi Government, is now under a serious cloud.
MODI GOVERNMENT HAS MUCH TO ANSWER TO THE NATION:
1.Why did the Modi Government suddenly rush to execute the US – India Trade… https://t.co/gPZVMooyjO
— Randeep Singh Surjewala (@rssurjewala) February 20, 2026
What Triggered the Fresh Controversy Over US India Trade Deal?
The issue emerged after the US Supreme Court delivered a major setback to former US President Donald Trump. In a 6-3 verdict, the court ruled that the Trump administration went beyond its legal authority by using the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977 to impose large-scale import tariffs.
As a result, billions of dollars worth of so-called “reciprocal” and emergency tariffs were declared invalid.
Trump’s New Tariff Move and Legal Limits
Following the court ruling, Trump announced a fresh plan to impose a 10% global tariff on foreign goods. This tariff is scheduled to come into effect on February 24 at 12:01 am (local time).
However, the legal backing for this move is limited. Trump is using Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which allows such tariffs for only 150 days, unless extended by the US Congress.
This development has raised doubts about the sustainability of the 18% reciprocal tariff imposed on Indian goods under the recently signed US-India trade framework.
White House Clarifies Position on Tariffs
On Saturday, the White House confirmed that, in light of the Supreme Court’s ruling, additional duties imposed under the IEEPA would no longer remain in force.
According to report, the White House stated that these duties “shall no longer be in effect and, as soon as practicable, shall no longer be collected.”
Surjewala Questions Timing of Trade Agreement
Surjewala questioned why the Modi government rushed to sign the trade framework on February 6, 2026, even though the US Supreme Court had already heard arguments on limiting presidential tariff powers on November 5, 2025.
He pointed out that the government was aware a judgment was pending but still went ahead with the agreement.
Key Questions Raised by Congress on India’s Next Steps
Surjewala listed several critical questions on how India should respond if the trade deal weakens:
-
Whether the government will buy cheaper Russian and Iranian crude oil to safeguard India’s energy security.
-
Whether India will stop importing US food and agricultural products to protect the livelihoods of 72 crore Indian farmers and farm labourers.
-
Whether imports of processed maize (DDG), jowar, soyabean, cotton, fruits, and nuts from the US will be restricted to protect domestic farmers.
-
Whether the Centre will retain non-tariff barriers, avoid cutting agricultural subsidies, and prevent the entry of genetically modified (GM) crops to preserve biodiversity.
-
Whether India will reconsider the commitment to import USD 500 billion (₹45 lakh crore) worth of American goods over five years at zero tariff.
-
Whether the government will take firm steps to protect India’s data and digital security.
Jairam Ramesh Criticises Modi Government
Congress leader Jairam Ramesh also attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the issue. He said the government acted in haste instead of waiting for the Supreme Court verdict.
“If Mr. Modi had not been so desperate to protect his fragile image and waited just 18 days more, Indian farmers would have been saved their agony and distress and Indian sovereignty would have been protected.”
He further remarked, “The India-US trade deal is really an ordeal that India is being subjected to by the Prime Minister’s desperation and surrender.”
Yesterday after the US Supreme Court struck down his tariffs policy, President Trump declared that (i) Mr. Modi is his great friend; (ii) the India-US trade deal will continue as announced; (iii) he had personally halted Operation Sindoor on May 10 2025 by threatening to increase… pic.twitter.com/khzl8Pq32L
— Jairam Ramesh (@Jairam_Ramesh) February 21, 2026
Growing Political Pressure on US India Trade Policy
The Supreme Court ruling in the US has not only weakened the legal foundation of key tariffs but has also intensified political scrutiny in India. With opposition leaders questioning the agreement’s timing and impact, pressure is mounting on the Centre to clarify its trade strategy and safeguard national interests.