Indiana State Police confirmed that suspect Kenneth Terrell Johnson in Beech Grove Shooting was taken into custody hours after the shooting incident turned deadly

Suspect Kenneth Johnson Taken Into Custody in Beech Grove Shooting Case (Source: Instagram)
Beech Grove Shooting: Indiana State Police confirmed 47-year-old Kenneth Johnson is in custody hours after he is accused of shooting two Beech Grove police officers who responded to a report of a domestic disturbance.
One police officer, Brian Elliott, was killed and another was injured in the shooting that occurred near an Indiana high school on Monday, February 16. The incident prompted a large police response as authorities initially searched for the suspect, who fled the scene. Indiana State Police later identified the accused gunman as 47-year-old Kenneth Terrell Johnson, according to a report by Fox 2 Now.
Kenneth Johnson, 47, is a Black male, approximately 6 feet tall and weighing 165 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. He has a slender build and was last seen wearing a royal blue hooded sweatshirt, Sgt. Perrine said.
According to WSBT, Johnson was considered armed and dangerous. Authorities said his last known location was Beech Grove, Indiana, where he was seen at around 6 p.m. on Monday, February 16, 2026.
Following the shooting, Indiana State Police issued a Blue Alert to notify the public about the suspect. The alert has since been canceled, though Johnson remains wanted in connection with the shooting that injured a law enforcement officer.
Indiana State Police confirmed that Kenneth Terrell Johnson remains a suspect, and the investigation into the case is ongoing.
Police said Johnson was believed to be armed and dangerous, and the public was warned not to approach him. Anyone who spotted him was urged to immediately contact Indiana State Police Indianapolis at 317-899-8577 or call 911.
The officer who died in the shooting was identified as 33-year-old Brian Elliott, according to the Beech Grove Police Department.
Elliott had served with BGPD for two years and previously worked with the Marion County Sheriff’s Department. He was remembered as a “Beech Grove kid” who had always wanted to become a Beech Grove police officer.
Police first learned of the incident after receiving a 911 call at 5:37 p.m. reporting a “disturbance” at 140 Diplomat Court.
Just minutes later, authorities upgraded the situation to “gunshot scene unsafe” shortly after 5:45 p.m.
According to Sgt. John Perrine, the suspect later identified as Johnson opened fire on two officers who were responding to a disturbance inside an apartment unit at a nearby housing complex.
As the search intensified, IMPD announced around 6:10 p.m. that Emerson Avenue was shut down, from Churchman Avenue to Interstate 465. Residents were advised to avoid the area and use alternate routes.
On Monday evening, police deployed helicopters, K9 units, and other law enforcement resources to locate the suspect.
Authorities advised residents to remain alert and report any suspicious or unusual activity as the investigation continues.