Home > World > Is Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ losing support after Vatican’s decision?

Is Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ losing support after Vatican’s decision?

The Vatican has declined to join Donald Trump’s proposed Board of Peace, saying global crises should be handled by UN-led multilateral institutions and citing concerns

By: Nisha Srivastava
Last Updated: February 18, 2026 11:13:09 IST

The Vatican has refused to participate in U.S. President Donald Trump’s proposed Board of Peace, citing that international crises should be resolved by existing multilateral institutions, particularly the United Nations. Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin explained that the Holy See would not take part in the board due to its “particular nature” that does not fit the Vatican’s diplomatic style.

This is consistent with the Vatican’s preference for UN-led conflict resolution and its long-standing tradition of staying neutral instead of joining politically motivated international organizations. Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Holy See’s top diplomat, said crisis management should primarily be handled by the United Nations, not by newly formed political boards.

The post shared on X regarding the Holy See’s refusal post on the invitation of US President Donald Trump.



Pope Leo invited but Vatican stays away

Pope Leo, the first U.S.-born pope, was invited to join the board earlier this year. However, the Vatican decided not to take part, citing concerns about the board’s structure and purpose.

Board of Peace and Gaza oversight plan

The Board of Peace was initially proposed under Trump’s Gaza plan to supervise temporary governance in Gaza following a ceasefire. Trump later said the board would expand its mandate to address other global conflicts.

Growing criticism and limited global backing

Several rights experts have criticised the board, warning it could undermine international institutions and resemble a colonial-style arrangement. The absence of Palestinian representation has also drawn concern. While some Middle Eastern allies have joined, many Western nations have chosen to stay away or attend only as observers.

Vatican decision adds to doubts over board’s future

With the Vatican opting out and key global players remaining cautious, Trump’s “Board of Peace” appears to be struggling to gain broad international legitimacy, reinforcing concerns about its long-term effectiveness.

Most Popular

The Sunday Guardian is India’s fastest
growing News channel and enjoy highest
viewership and highest time spent amongst
educated urban Indians.

The Sunday Guardian is India’s fastest growing News channel and enjoy highest viewership and highest time spent amongst educated urban Indians.

© Copyright ITV Network Ltd 2025. All right reserved.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?