Russia-Ukraine War Latest News: Russian Missile Strike Kills At Least 21; Zelensky Makes Urgent Plea for More Air Defence Systems

Following the attacks, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky once again asked for missile defence, as he said having more interceptors could have helped save more people.

By: Nimakshi Chanotra
Last Updated: August 5, 2026 22:11:10 IST

Russia-Ukraine War Latest News: Russia launched one of its deadliest attacks on Ukraine this year, firing ballistic missiles and drones that killed at least 21 people and injured dozens more. The overnight assault targeted Kyiv, other areas around Kyiv, Kharkiv and Donetsk, causing large-scale destruction, including the destruction of residential structures and warehouses and damage to infrastructure. Following the attacks, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky once again asked for missile defence as he said having more interceptors could have helped save more people.

Russia-Ukraine War Latest News: What happened in Russia’s latest attack on Ukraine?

Russia carried out a large-scale overnight assault using 24 ballistic missiles, four anti-ship missiles and 115 drones, according to Ukraine’s Air Force. Kyiv and its surrounding region suffered the heaviest damage, with 17 people killed and dozens injured. Additional attacks in Kharkiv claimed one life, while Donetsk reported three fatalities. Ukrainian authorities said residential buildings, warehouses, a railway station and other civilian infrastructure were hit, while emergency crews continued rescue operations amid fears that more people could be trapped beneath the rubble.

Russia-Ukraine War Latest News: Why is Zelensky demanding more missile interceptors?

Reacting to the attack, President Volodymyr Zelensky said that additional air defence systems, particularly US-made Patriot missile interceptors, could have prevented the heavy loss of life. He stated that delays in receiving anti-ballistic defence systems from partner nations have resulted in “horrific casualties and destruction.” Zelensky also revealed that supplies of missile interceptors from Ukraine’s allies have declined significantly this year, making it increasingly difficult to defend against Russia’s growing number of ballistic missile attacks.

Russia-Ukraine War Latest News: What does the latest military data reveal?

Ukraine’s Air Force reported intercepting 98 out of 115 drones, but it did not announce the interception of any ballistic missiles during the latest assault. Official data also indicates that Ukraine’s missile interception rate has fallen compared with last year, while Russia has sharply increased the number of missiles launched. According to Ukrainian military figures, Russia fired 351 missiles between July 6 and August 5 this year, compared with 192 during the same period in 2025, highlighting the intensifying scale of the conflict.

Russia-Ukraine War Latest News: What is happening on both sides of the war now?

As Russia has ramped up strikes against Ukrainian cities, Ukraine has responded with an increase in attacks aimed at Russian targets, including facilities and buildings. Recently, a Ukrainian drone strike on a warehouse in the Tula region led to a fire. Ukraine had previously carried out a number of successful strikes against targets in various regions of Russia. The European Commission has announced the allocation of €1.4 billion of funds frozen in Russia to help Ukraine. The ongoing escalation of activities on both sides in the conflict makes it deeper.

Check out other tags:

Most Popular

The Sunday Guardian is India’s fastest
growing News channel and enjoy highest
viewership and highest time spent amongst
educated urban Indians.

The Sunday Guardian is India’s fastest growing News channel and enjoy highest viewership and highest time spent amongst educated urban Indians.

© Copyright ITV Network Ltd 2025. All right reserved.